How to Sell
Thank you for your interest in consigning with us!
Westport Auction will consider any estate item or collection for our monthly sales. Upon review of the item(s) we will be able to determine a auction value and commission fee; there are no hidden fees when consigning with Westport Auction. All values are discussed and approved between the consignor and Westport Auction before signing of our contract. We pay the consignor 45 business days after the auction; this time period allows our buyers to complete the payment and shipping process.
“What's it Wednesday”
The day for clients to bring an item or two into our gallery for an auction evaluation with our appraiser.
Every Wednesday between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm by appointment
Please see below for a step by step explanation of our consignment process, commission rate, and frequently asked questions.
- We kindly ask that you send in pictures of the items you were looking to consign to Info@Westportauction.com. Make sure to include in the email any details on the items you may have, reserves you would like placed, and any time constraints you are operating under.
- Our appraisers will review the email and let you know if they are items that would do well at auction.
- If items are approved for auction, we will send you the consignment contract to fill out and return to us, along with the address the items can be delivered to.
- For large or high value local consignments, it may be possible for us to pick up the items. This would be a flat fee taken out of the auction proceeds to be determined by the appraiser. Please indicate in your response if that is an option you are seeking.
- Once the items are in our possession, we will begin the process of professionally photographing and cataloging them. Please be aware we are currently experiencing a high level of consignments and it may be up to two months before they are placed in a sale.
- Once the items are placed in a sale you will receive an email from us with the full listing and the sale date. At this point if you have any additional comments, provenance, or concerns about the listing please respond to the email with them.
- Following the sale you will receive a settlement report with a list of the items, their sold price, and any items that may not have sold. For items that did not sell, we will indicate whether we could rerun them in a following sale for a reduced start price.
*For a whole estate the process differs slightly. We can sell these items right out of your home. In this case, our team would come out to professionally photograph and catalog the items in your home. After the sale ends, we will have a two-day pickup window where we would send in another team to facilitate the items getting picked up by the buyers
Based on each item
Under $499 – 30% Commission
$500-$999 – 20% Commission
$1000- $4999 – 15% Commission
Over $5000 – 10% Commission
What type of items do you sell?
We have a very wide range of items we sell that span from antique furniture to baseball cards and beyond. All our past auctions are listed on our website at www.WestportAuction.com and we encourage you to check out the items we have sold in the past and the prices they sold for.
I have a whole house of items and can’t take pictures of all of them?!
Not to worry, you can take a picture of each room and describe in the emails which items you were looking to consign. This part of the process is more for us to get a feel for the style and age of the items.
I am moving out of my house, which address should I put on the contract?
The address on the contract will be used to mail the check 45 business days after the sale. When in doubt put down both addresses but indicate which one would be best for the check.
What happens to items that do not sell?
Following the conclusion of the sale, you will be emailed a report of the items that sold, and which have passed. On that report it will let you know if we can rerun the items in another sale for a reduced start price. If items are marked “no rerun”, they could either be picked up within two weeks, or we can dispose of them for you.
When will I get paid for my consignment?
Checks are sent out 45 business days following the sale of items. This equates to about two months when taking out holidays and weekends. This allows us to receive and process all payments for your items.
The closing date for my home is in only two weeks, can you sell my items?!
Make sure to include the time constraints you are operating under, and our appraisers will let you know if they will be able to make it happen.
For any other questions we may not have addressed, feel free to email us at Info@Westportauction.com or give us a call at (203) 222-3448!