Terms of Bidding
Terms of Bidding
TERMS OF SALE: All property offered and sold through Westport Auction shall be offered and sold on the terms and conditions below. By bidding at the auction, whether present in person or by agent, by written bid, telephone, internet, or other means, the buyer agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions. All bidders bidding by third parties such as LiveAuctioneers or Invaluable are subject to their additional terms and conditions.
1. ALL ITEMS ARE SOLD AS-IS. All sales are final. No returns. No refunds. No exceptions. All items are sold to the highest bidder by the auctioneer. The auctioneer has the right to not accept any bid. Bidding may be reopened at the discretion of the auctioneer. The auctioneer reserves the right to withdraw any item and to reoffer the item at another time. Buyers will have 15 days after the auction date to contact Westport Auction if there is a gross misrepresentation of an item. Westport Auction will not be responsible for any claims concerning items after 15 days from the auction date.
2. ONLINE BIDDING: Online bidders using the LiveAuctioneers platform must complete payment through LivePayments. Invoices are subject to a 25% buyer's premium and are bound by the terms of LivePayments. Bidders will be charged by LiveAuctioneers 24 hours from the time the invoice is sent from LiveAuctioneers. Invoices are also subject to additional service fees from LivePayments. There are no other payment options when bidding with LiveAuctioneers unless invoices in the amount of $5,000.00 and over which must then be paid by guaranteed funds such as cash, bank check, or wire transfer. Non-payment of an invoice will result in a dispute on LiveAuctioneers. Online bidders using Invaluable are subject to a 25% buyer's premium for cash, a good check, or bank wire transfer; a 28% buyer's premium will apply for credit card payments. All Invaluable bidders will receive invoices from and pay Westport Auction directly as we do not use Invaluable's invoicing. A 23% buyer's premium will be added to the hammer price of each lot sold to the floor, phone bidders, and Westport Auction's bidding platform with a discount of 3% for cash, a good check, or bank wire transfer.
3. PAYMENTS ACCEPTED: Cash, Check (personal, business, or bank), Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover, Wire Transfer, International Wire Transfer, or ACH. We do not accept Paypal, Zelle, Wise, Venmo, or international credit cards. Invoices in the amount of $5,000.00 and over must be guaranteed funds such as cash, bank check, or wire transfer. International wire transfers are subject to a bank service fee of $50.00. Precious metals and luxury items must be paid for with guaranteed funds. Guaranteed funds are considered wire transfers, ACH transfers, bank check, and cash. Bidders give Westport Auction permission to charge the credit card supplied at the time of registration if payment is not made within the auction's specific payment time frame. All bidders will have a dispute placed on their account and will be blocked from bidding with us if payment is not made within the designated payment period. The dispute will be resolved only once the payment is received. The credit card supplied at the time of registration may be charged if payment is not made within the auction's specific payment time frame.
4. SALES TAX: All purchases are subject to the Connecticut State sales tax of 6.35% unless the buyer is an out-of-state resident and items are being shipped out of Connecticut or the purchaser has a valid tax resale certificate (a physical valid copy of a resale certificate must be presented and on file with Westport Auction). LiveAuctioneers bidders will be subject to LiveAuctioneers sale tax policies which will be included on the LiveAuctioneers invoice.
5. ITEM PICKUP: The item's pickup location and address are on the invoice sent by Westport Auction, please be sure you have the correct location of items as we have more than one location. The winning bidder or their shipping agent must bring all necessary packing material and help to move larger items. Westport Auction is not responsible for moving or loading items into vehicles due to insurance liability. Damage that occurs during shipping by a confirmed, third-party shipper is the responsibility of the shipper. All invoices must have a signature from the bidder or shipper before leaving our facilities, which confirms the condition as stated in the catalog. Items will not be released without confirmation of a shippers name and arrival date. All confirmation must be in writing through email and on file by the end of the advertised pick-up window. Items left after the pickup window will incur a cost of $50 plus $10/day storage fee per item. We clearly advertise pickup windows in each sale so please expect to pay these fees if you are unable to have a shipper collect items by the deadline. Items that remain 30 days post-auction will be considered abandoned without a refund and become the property of Westport Auction.
6. SHIPPING: A sale cannot be voided due to unforeseen shipping costs. Shipping and insurance are the responsibility of the bidder. Westport Auction offers shipping services for select items to the continental USA. Westport Auction offers delivery for select items to the tri-state area. Please email us for a shipping quote prior to the auction to see if we can ship the item in-house. Alternatively, a list of additional shippers can also be viewed at https://westportauction.com/pick-up-delivery/ . Bidders must be aware of the shipping costs before bidding on an item. All gold, silver, handbags, and luxury items will be held 14 days after payment is received before items can ship or be picked up by a confirmed shipper. In-house shipping must ship to the address matching the payment address, no exceptions. If an item is damaged in transit that was shipped in-house by Westport Auction, we will submit a claim once the buyer sends photos of the damaged items and packaging. It is important not to throw away any packaging until the claim has been resolved. No refund, partial or full, will not be issued until the investigation has been completed. Reimbursement to the buyer will not be made until Westport Auction receives the funds from the shipping company. Please be aware this process could take 60-90 days.
7. RESTRICTED ITEMS: All USA and international buyers should be aware that certain countries or states do not allow the importation of items containing materials made from endangered species. This includes, but is not limited to ivory, coral, and tortoise shell. It is the buyer's responsibility to check with relevant import and customs regulations prior to bidding.